EVault is a cloud storage SaaS and IaaS provider and a wholly owned subsidiary of Seagate Technology. EVault’s offerings have included storage SaaS such as data protection, disaster recovery, and end-point protection. The new service is Long-term Storage Service (LTS2), a cloud storage offering optimized for digital preservation and archival, providing extra assurances for the safety and accessibility of your data over time.
We have served customers in heavily regulated industries—financial services, legal, health care—as well as in government, media and entertainment, education, telecommunications, and charity/nonprofit. Headquartered in San Francisco, California, USA, we have sales, service, and data center operations in North America, Europe and Asia. As of early 2013, more than 43,000 companies rely on EVault cloud-connected backup and recovery services.
EVault LTS2’s key preservation and archival functions include data integrity (or fixity) checks and logging of all data access and management events to enable proper data stewardship.
EVault LTS2 is architected to help offload the management tasks typically done outside of the storage layer, and to facilitate data usability over time, specifically:
- Ongoing integrity (or fixity) checks across whole objects or their parts to prove an object’s integrity (lack of degradation, corruption or other unintended change) over time. Fixity checks are recorded in logs for audit and accessible on-demand via the admin console. In contrast, other long-term storage clouds require active data retrieval and examination for data checks, leaving it to the user to ensure (and prove) data integrity – a time-consuming and costly endeavor.
- Records of actions and key events at the object and user level. These summary reports are available to the admin to assist in chain-of-custody or provenance audits.
- Metadata management to help ensure long-term data retrieval and access.
- Fully managed service, making migrations to newer storage technologies transparent to the user throughout long retention periods.
EVault LTS2 goes beyond OpenStack technology to provide value-added features, especially around digital preservation and long-term archiving such as data integrity assurances and auditable event tracking for data access and management activities. In addition, we back our service with comprehensive SLAs along with rigorous standards for regulatory compliance.
EVault LTS2 also makes it easy to use and deploy archiving and preservation applications through OpenStack technology. Beyond support for OpenStack Object Storage ("Swift") APIs, the service provides a command-line interface (CLI) for streamlined administration, as well as support for Amazon S3 APIs. In addition, a web-based management console enables simplified storage management.
By delivering a best-in-class service based on open source software (OpenStack Swift), data stored in the EVault LTS2 cloud is protected against vendor and data lock-in. Open source software is recognized as a good choice for longevity and reducing risk of data loss. Even the US Government has adopted open source, and has an open source policy. We are committed to being a premier provider of storage services for the long-term. Our use of open-source software reinforces that promise of longevity, ensuring that you can always access data assets you have stored, regardless of our business status.
Our data survivorship and data portability options along with bulk data export service further reinforce elimination of data lock-in.
EVault LTS2 provides availability and data durability SLAs:
- Availability: EVault LTS2 guarantees availability (uptime) of 99.9%.
- Durability: By creating three (3) copies of your data with automatic health checks and self-healing, we are very confident about our high data durability. This SLA is, therefore, very simple: if we lose your data, you get compensated.
EVault LTS2 includes features for uploading, organizing, and manipulating data. The service supports a web-based management console and user interface, application programming interfaces (APIs), and a command-line interface (CLI). Specifically, we support the OpenStack Swift REST API and a subset of the Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) REST API. These APIs are used to create the HTTP requests and responses used in the EVault LTS2. Users can access the service via a web browser over the Internet.
Through these user interfaces, you can upload, browse, or download data and also create highly functional applications to automate various functions. EVault LTS2 has also been tested with several cloud storage gateways. The web-based UI also supports mobile devices. For more information on the APIs, please visit our user documentation section.
Client-side applications offer an interface to EVault LTS2 accounts to access and manage objects - containers and folders. While EVault LTS2 includes a Java-based multi-file uploader utility, the client-side applications can offer a more robust user experience. Our list is continually being updated as we test additional applications.
The following client-side applications have been assessed with EVault LTS2:
- Cloudberry Explorer for OpenStack Storage (for Windows)
- Cyberduck (for Mac and Windows)
- ExpanDrive (for Mac and Windows